In August of this year, Louisiana was struck by floods that cost lives and massive damage to infrastructure. Many helped in their own way to help everyone recover from the situation. Pop star Taylor Swift has decided to help in the form of donations, as she pledged a sizable amount of money to help the victims of the flood.
Fast forward two months later, and the Red singer has been keeping to her promise. The money has thus far been spread across several charities, with the remainder of the $1 million pledge being distributed to four important charities.
Dubbed the “worst US disaster since Hurricane Sandy” according to Red Cross, the flood affected every aspect of Louisiana and its way of living. It is only fitting that the donations were distributed among different charities, each having a different focus.
Among the beneficiaries are:
- Convoy of Hope – a faith based humanitarian organization which aims to provide basic needs to the impoverished,
- YWCA – The Young Women’s Christian Association, specifically the Greater Baton Rouge chapter, which aims to empower women,
- The Life of a Single Mom – an organization that aims to help single mothers,
- Habitat for Humanity – aims to rebuild 100 homes in the Baton Rouge area ($100,000 donated)
- Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank – like the Convoy of Hope, aims to help provide basic needs like food and water to those who need it ($50,000 donated)
The mentioned organizations expressed their thanks to Taylor Swift. They believed that her generous donations were of a great help especially in such trying times. It is also not surprising to see charities that focus on women, as she has been a vocal supporter of woman empowerment.
Taylor Swift initially announced her intention to donate back in August, at a time when the effects of the flood were most felt. She recalled how fans from Louisiana were warmly welcoming of her success, and so decided to give back when she heard of their plight.
Image Source: Facebook