Religion

If You Don’t Know Why You Give, Here’s the Answer and the Right Way to Do It

By on
Why do you give

Christmas is a time to thank God for His protection and blessings. In line with this, age-old traditions like tithing, in recognition of His lordship over all creations, are observed by many people. Dani Johnson, author and entrepreneur, helps befuddled minds understand the question, “Why do you give?”

Dani, who proclaims that God is the absolute center of her life and helps empower clients and friends, sheds light on the truth versus the tradition that people have come to know.

Dani explained that when we give, it must be done from the heart, or with the purest intentions. When you give, the author of First Steps to Wealth, said you must do it with a clean and obedient heart – adoration for God, not yourself. The story of Cain and Abel illustrates this point. When Cain presented his offering to God, there was something not quite right in his heart. He was seeking attention from God. When God showed no regard, Cain succumbed to anger and ended up killing his brother.

Bringing Clarity to Minds That Feel Muddled

Giving ought to be about “being thankful to God for how He has blessed your work – it is not a time to show off or prove to everyone else how great you are,” Dani said. If some people tend to feel manipulated or obliged to give, it may be because they miss out on the truth. On the other hand, there are individuals like Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg, who give massive donations and whose intentions have been criticized.

A tithe is illustrated by God’s own firstborn, Jesus Christ, who was given by God to mankind – to redeem mankind. We bring Him our tithe because we recognize that everything in life comes from Him.

When someone gives his tithe, he is, in fact, recognizing that God is Lord of everything. The deepest meaning of tithe is in the understanding that everything or a hundred percent of what we have belongs to God. When we give 10 percent share, He releases the remaining 90 percent for our use.

Only people who can break away from human stinginess or greed can fully realize the bigger blessings that life can offer. Avarice, one of the seven deadly sins, will only keep people from reaping greater blessings because it chokes out happiness, blessings and true wealth that transcends material gain.

Some Principles of Christian Giving

This holiday season, amidst all the frenzy, some people may miss out on the opportunity that sits right in front of them, to give to a cause or to the needy. The commitment to give need not take shape on a certain occasion like Christmas. Giving can be done all year round, ideally “from the heart” and in silence.

Benevolent giving is conveyed in Biblical passages. One of the things the Bible teaches is that “Christian giving must be willing giving, free giving.” As stated in 2 Corinthians 9:7, “Each one ‘must do’ just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion.”

The Bible further states that he who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart. God loves a cheerful giver.

In her events that aim to help people find their authentic selves, overcome weaknesses, and make progress, Dani Johnson keeps encouraging people to learn to open the eyes to all the possibilities that the world can offer. Dani’s “no excuses” approach has led many people to benefit from opportunities that were right in front of them and those include being a guiding force or a “blessing” by giving joyously to others, especially for the benefit of the disadvantaged members of society.

You can read more of Dani’s blog WHY Do You Give?

Photo Source: Unsplash

Wanna share your personal testimony? Email the editor

About the author

To Top